Tuesday, December 27, 2011
My Zoltar machine wish
I don't usually post things like this, but forgive me 9 faithful followers, I just kind of need to send this out into the universe. If I had a creepy Zoltar machine in front of me right now, I would wish that I could spend one day as a six-foot-something, mean-looking person to see how people treated me differently. I am at the end of my rope with being treated like the person strangers take out their bad days on! Maybe you all just have tougher skin than I do. I don't know. Here's what happened. Brysen and I are in Walmart with the two little guys looking at Christmas clearance. He rounds the corner with the babies slightly ahead of me, and a woman blocks the aisle. She is on the phone, so I wait patiently for her to let me through. (Her cart is next to a square pillar, making the aisle too narrow for two carts.) It's obvious she's not going to move so I say nicely (quietly, even), "excuse me." She slids her cart over a bit and I begin carefully coming past and she says to me impatiently "I just don't know where you want me to go." (I know, she left herself wide open there) I say, still quite politely "If you move up a bit I can get past the pillar" and she says VERY impatiently "BUT I'M LOOKING AT STUFF RIGHT HERE." Still on the phone by the way. By then I'm past her and I say, admittedly not so politely "But my family's right over here." and she says very loudly and rudely "WELL, I'M GLAD YOU'RE WITH YOUR FAMILY." Ya know if she had turned to me and said at the beginning "sorry, that's as far as I can scoot" I would've said "no problem, I'll go around" but she had to make it a nasty conversation. And who is she on the phone with that still wants to talk to her after hearing her treat people like that? Maybe I'm just naive, but I don't understand being so mean. I think I somehow bring it out in people, but Brysen says it's just that it doesn't bother other people as much as it bothers me. I could've blocked her in, with my husband blocking her in on the other end and been rude to her when she asked to pass. I guess at least she didn't swear at me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It does seem like people say rude things to you a lot! I think it is because you are so nice and you just have one of those nice, sweet faces and sadly, I think people treat you poorly because of that. You ARE nice though because I probably would have called that lady a B-word and asked her if she wanted to fight :)
ReplyDeleteits just walmart. a few years ago i got in a nasty altercation with some woman who thought she owned the world it almost ended in a fight which i would have lost cause all she would of had to do was sit one me and i would have died.
ReplyDeleteSadly, when you turn the other cheek, some people just slap it too. I lived in Miami for 10 years and RUDE is just a way of life there. My feelings are rarely hurt because I believe most people are just completely insane. Just keep smiling & know that it isn't you... it is ABSOLUTELY HER that has the problem!
ReplyDeleteIt makes me sad that people are like that. I wonder how sad her life must be that she has to take it out on you. MEAN PEOPLE SUCK!
ReplyDeletedon't feel bad. some people are really just that rude. (and, ahem, stupid.)
ReplyDelete