“…what Joseph must have felt as he moved through the streets of a city not his own, with not a friend or kinsman in sight, nor anyone willing to extend a helping hand. In these very last and most painful hours of her “confinement,” Mary had ridden or walked approximately 100 miles from Nazareth in Galilee to Bethlehem in Judea. Surely Joseph must have wept at her silent courage. Now, alone and unnoticed, they had to decend from human company to a stable, a grotto full of animals, there to bring forth the Son of God.
I wonder what emotions Joseph might have had as he cleared away the dung and debris. I wonder if he felt the sting of tears as he hurriedly tried to find the cleanest straw and hold the animals back. I wonder if he wondered: “…Is this a place fit for a king? Should the mother of the Son of God be asked to enter the valley of the shadow of death in such a foul and unfamiliar place as this?”
…But I am certain Joseph did not mutter and Mary did not wail. They knew a great deal and did the best they could.”
Jeffrey R. Holland (“’Maybe Christmas Doesn’t Come From a Store,’” Ensign, December 1977, 64-65)
i love this.
ReplyDeleteI love this too. I am so in awe of Mary and her courage. I could never give birth in a barn.
ReplyDelete