It is the last
day of July, and a blue moon, and I feel an essay may be in order.
Every year as the
days of July pass, and August comes into view, I feel lighter and lighter. July
is difficult for me. This year seemed extra hard. I grew up with 2 sexual
predators in my life, and they were around much more in summertime. July to be
exact. Because of this, each parade, firework display, and hot day are a
trigger to my subconscious. A signal to beware. I find myself deep breathing to
calm myself from no present threat. Rather from a threat decades old. I was
taught, raised, under a strict tutelage whose rules were, no telling, no
fighting, no saying no.
Every year, I
find myself feeling as though I were under a jar. I have no better words for
it. Under a jar. Everything has limits on all side. My joy, my happiness, my
calmness, my relationships. All under a jar. The colors are duller under my
jar. My world is limited under my jar. I can’t smell the fresh air, or hear the
happy sounds my children make under my jar. This emotion is what inspired my
poem “From the Jar.”
From the Jar
Jenifer Lee
Emerging from my hanging home
It was my right
To pump my wings until they dried
To fly from flower to flower
To sample ultra-violet nectars.
And drunken from the foxglove’s brew
-- seeing bee’s
purple—
succumb to an orchid’s landing pattern.
It was my right
To take the risk of falling into sticky pools
On the quest for eternal inebriation.
I would have preferred the pin to what you did.
And now, I have
made it through another July. Another July full of displaced fear and anger.
Another July full of deep breathing and depression.
Tomorrow is
August, and life will get better.
No comments:
Post a Comment